Thursday 6 September 2007

On Vanderveer


I wanna live on Vanderveer
where everyday's
the same all year
Just start the car
it's not that far
and take us there
I'll show you where~

Verdant hills on Vanderveer
lifts the burden,
stills the fear
Free to all who
hold her dear
Fairfield farms
are also near.

So come with me
my silent love
to old back roads
I'm dreaming of
we'll park the car
and take our time
and find a way
to make it rhyme.

You wave goodbye,
"farewell, my dear,
it sure was nice
to have you here,
but in a year
we'll have a beer
and toast to life
on Vanderveer"~

I spent the night on Vanderveer
and in the morning
it was clear~
the sun broke treetops
glistening
on grassy fields
and everything
and early up
I drank in dew
and not once did I
think of you.

I hid my gear
on Vanderveer
and walked for miles
on trails back there
with Autumn near
the leaves still green
but change will come
and lead to drear
but not before the
colors cheer
the lonely woods
of this frontier
and change is good
a sign of growth
and suddenly
I shed a tear~

My dream of freedom
brought me here
but truth be told
I'm getting old
the moldy ground
is damp and cold
my back is sore
my butt was bitten
on Vanderveer
though I was smitten~

I guess too quickly
after all
and swallowed up
by nature's call
but left alone
my thoughts are clear
I'd hurt you more
by staying here
cause who'd be there
to steer you clear
of Satan's brew
and backwash beer
to bust your chops
and mend your rear
and warm your toes
and bend your ear?

and who to take
my great advice
on vita veeta vega vice
and read my poem
and get the joke
and buy me gingerale
with coke
when I get rough
without enough
you pull me though
the bitter stuff

and put up with my
lack of taste
and bring me to a better place
and wait for me
and pray for me
and sometimes a
charade for me
but better off than
being here
the lonely life
on Vanderveer~

and so before I
lose my fear
and wander back
there with the deer
quick grab some cash
for Mickys, Dear
and pick me up
on Vanderveer.

5 comments:

Susan Skitt said...

Gina,
Thanks for stopping by Anna's place and sharing. Loss, in any form is never easy. I have walked along side a dear friend with a similar situation as yours. (Figuratively and literally, we walk and talk and pray before she goes to work early Wed. mornings.) Life at times can be hard, but with God's help and strength, all things are possible when we trust Him. He promises to never leave or forsake His own.

God loves you. I am praying for you.

Blessings,
Susan Kelly Skitt
www.livingtheadventurouslife.blogspot.com
www.shareyourgrief.blogspot.com

Susan Skitt said...

P.S. Gina,

I see you're a nurse. I used to work as a Med Tech in a hospital and then for awhile in a private lab in the Serology depart.

Take care.

Gina said...

So true Susan and thank you for your thoughtful comment. Took me years to recover from that one, thanks largely to "Stander's movement" and my huge guilt complex which distorted the truth. I would have gotten over it much quicker and perhaps taken a different path had I just allowed myself to be angry, forgive myself, and accept the happy reality that the farce was over forever. As it were I blamed myself for everything and wallowed in guilt and fear of new relationships. Ew Ew Ew. Anyway, I did marry again, years later, though it was and odd coupling, which should never have led to that decision and ended without all the fanfare.

Serology is serious business. I could never stand drawing blood, except from central lines. Even then I was preoccupied with bloodclots. Needles...yikes! I don't mind the flu shots, and IMs but those IV lines. Again, worried about bloodclots, infections, infiltrations, and lumens breaking off in the veins.

Angelissima said...

Vanderveer, sounds familiar. Isn't that the name of a lonely road in Freehold or somewhere?

Remember that time we rode out to nowhere and ended up talking to that old man on the apple farm?

Good times.

Gina said...

it is a road in Freehold, though it seems more to me like Howell. It's Adelphia, and leads into Howell Rd. I love that road.

Yes, I remember that adventure. Fun. Perrineville?