Sunday 3 August 2008

a chance for love


Is this the sweetest and corniest thing ever? NO?

Interesting that 'uncertainty' in relationships should be a good thing. Imagine that. I used to be so afraid of that feeling of uncertainty. But isn't that what we get every day when we wake up? Freedom to make choices but never really able to predict the outcome? We have faith and hope that things will go alright but no guarantee. I'd like a guarantee, but I also like the surprises. As long as they're good. In relationships, sometimes I need that reassurance that we are going in the same direction. Yet it's also important to not be so sure of the ending that you think you are in complete control and lose that sense of anticipation and freedom. Of separateness. Something I don't want to take from anyone else either. Don't want anyone to feel like a trapped animal. Caged. Yikes. In that respect, I prefer uncertainly. I don't like finishing books either.

I had a copy of Jimmy Laos' book, " A Chance at Love" once and gave it away. It was a really cute story about a couple who never met but live in the same apartment building. He hears her typing and she hears his music but they never meet until one day at the park...they have a great time and he gets her number but it gets all blurry in the rain and he can't reach her and has no idea where she lives. After waiting days for him to call she figures he lost interest. Months turn into a couple of years...and then something happens....

No comments: