Sunday 3 August 2008

This reminds me of Dad



This guy reminds me of my Dad back in the 60s and 70s. In the 60s, Dad played in 2 softball leagues. I never once saw him play. I'd see his mitt around though. I guess it was his time to be away from us kids. Then, around 1970 he started singing in Barbershop Quartet and Chorus. in fact, he still sings. When we were little he had this reel to reel tape recorder which he'd bring with him to his practices. He would also tape us kids singing.
My father used to dance with us in the living room. We'd stand on his feet. I went to visit Dad and Mom yesterday. Brought him a nice seersucker shirt and pair of Docksider shorts so he could be cool. He tried the shirt on right away and it looked good on him. Bought Mom an outfit too. Cute little khaki pants and a sleeveless top with a sweater. We Morrone women have to get past our arms. I have a constellation of liver spots on mine and feel very self conscious about it. Not attractive at all. I guess if I were dating, the guy would have to be able to ignore them. If he can't I have no use for him. Anyway, nothing a good tan can't hide. Been saying that all my life which is why I have the spots. The Spots. Not about me but I wore a snappy little black dress to my friends father's memorial. The dear man passed a few days ago and she told me they were having a formal affair at her sister's home. Ok, so not wanting to draw attention in any way, shape, or form, the arms and butt were strategically covered with a... ahem...Vera Wang long sleeved cottony sweater. When I got inside the house, Brett, Loretta's son blurts out " I know why she's wearing that sweater...to cover her DOTS!"

"Thank you, Brett. No really. Thanks."

Anyway, I love shopping for clothes for the folks....and I wish I could stand on my Dad's feet and dance with him, but I'd probably do some damage.

No comments: