Thursday 10 January 2008

No Skimming!



Skimming is like cheating
why bother to pretend?
so you can say you've read the book,
a mad rush to the end?

Best do like me, and start a few
and it's exactly what I do
before I will attack it, read
the back and jacket too.

I start in on the chapter list
and read it 'til I've got the gist,
a nice prologue and introduction
if omitted, sorely missed.

I take the words and read 'em over
what was meant, I try to gleen
and if no message was encoded
just what did the author mean?

I'll do the same on every page
until I understand, or age
and when I'm satisfied
unless I've died, I'll turn the page.

I will continue on that course
unless the author beats his horse
and gives me every reason, just to
end it there without remorse.

but if I'm thoroughly engaged
and my boredom not enraged
I must admit I've skimmed a chapter
in the crapper for the aged.

and if I make it to the chase
which has rarely been the case
I will mark it, and then park it
to allow it proper place.

The End

3 comments:

Angelissima said...

Gigi loves to quit a book after the first chapter or so...because its BORING. And then she pick up another and ....that one is boring also....

I've been insisting she read on past the first few chapters. You know, the story usually doesn't grab ya until then....

It seems to be working. She's running through Pherrin's old "Babysitters Club" collection like a champ!

She gets all excited - laughs - has to tell me all the best parts...
Mama! Listen to this...hahhhahaha!

Cute. I'm glad my Mom encouraged us to read and provided us with lots of material.

Gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina said...

"Mama, listen to this!" Aw, that's cute. it is so good that you encourage her reading, Ang, and that your parents did the same for you.

I used to LOVE to read, but when I became depressed, found myself feeling listless and unable to concentrate. Just recently, with settling into this house, I have become relaxed enough to allow myself to be drawn into a story. I started on a novel the other day, 'The Tender Bar' which looks interesting, and have 2 others on my night table...if I could pull myself away from the TV, which is also a newly acquired interest. I LOVE that big screen!

See you Saturday!