Friday 14 March 2008

mother and child


you are just so beautiful and even with the drool
and every time I look at you I feel like a fool
it's not that you were made by me, but how can I resist?
sweet child of mine, I love your whine,
continue, i insist.

I don't think you should stay up late
you need to get your rest
we'll talk about your bedtime
but it's time that you got dressed.

and you can wear that funky shirt
but just not every day
please pick yourself another one
or it might go away!

Of course, I'm only kidding
and I know just how you feel
my poor old Floppy lost an eye
and then one day, for real...

i couldn't find him anywhere
he was my closest friend
and then one day
my Mom said he had
made it 'to the end'.

and where, you ask
would be 'the end' for
things we love on Earth?
our favorite blankets
precious things
we loved and had since birth?

Well I don't know,
I think it's true
that everything we love
has a place within our hearts
a shelf, I'm thinking of

where we can put our memories
and almost touch the thing
and smell the freshness like the day
and make it new like Spring.

and though you might not
have that shirt for years and years to come
take a picture, make it last
like Double Bubble gum

and when you're tired
you'll spit it out
and bag it if you must
and give away
the things that you've not worn into the dust.

but always keep your heart in check
and watch the stuff you keep
remember you're God's precious thing
and you'll always get to sleep.

and then, my child, when I am old
remind me, I was cruel
but tell me that I'm beautiful
and even with the drool.

No comments: