Thursday 27 March 2008

someone's been here...

I used to think my neighbor was a tad paranoid. This was someone who lived across the street from my old house. She lived alone and one day came over to ask if I had seen anyone around her house while she was at work. I told her that I had not, and asked for details. She told me that she suspected that people were coming over to her house when she was not there, breaking in, and partying. Partying? Yes. Nothing was missing but a clasp on one of her necklaces was broken. No other indication, though the knob appeared scratched, it could have been done with her own keys. No real evidence of tampering. Hmm.... I told her that I would keep an eye out and let her know, but doubted anyone had been over there. After all, who would go into someone's house just to hang out and try on jewelry?

Well I had a strange experience today. I came home and in my latest routine, left my shoes at the door and slid down the hall in my socks. I figured this would be less noisy for the neighbor who sleeps down there. Nice man. I don't want to bother him more than necessary since he already told me that he can hear EVERYTHING up here. He works nights, so chances are he was asleep just under this room. I slid down the slope into the kitchen ( the house is very old ) and dropped the mail on the table, had a snack before heading to bed. I've been taking naps after work lately which is really nice because usually I just keep going until i drop off at 11 or midnight. So I woke up and went into the darkened bathroom, and nearly fell into the bowl, as the seat had been left up. Geez Louise, I'm running a truck stop. Ah, I don't like this. If they were in my bathroom, they could have been in my bed! Rummaging around in my drawers! Ew. Some old creepy dude in my stuff. I am genuinely creeped out.

I sure hadn't been cleaning any toilets this morning, and wondered if the manager had been in the apt. Last time I had some problems with the toilets, I had permitted the guys to come in here to fix it but would never expect anyone to be in her when I am not home otherwise. I might have to move out of here. This is too weird. One guy can hear everything and now this. Toilet seats being left up.

So then, I came in here and turned the computer on and discovered that the speakers weren't working. I checked the wiring and the one in the back had been pulled out. I fixed it, but still couldn't get them to work, at which point I checked the computer and discovered that the sound had been muted.

All vely vely stlange...indeed. I'll change the locks tomorrow.

No comments: