Monday, 21 December 2009
run, run, as fast as you can!!!
Supposedly, this is The Best Recipe EVER for Gingerbread. We shall see. I've got 3 balls of it chilling in the fridge.
US Metric Calculate
Original Recipe Yield 6 dozen
* 6 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 tablespoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup shortening, melted and cooled slightly
* 1 cup molasses
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, until they are completely absorbed. Divide dough into 3 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cookies are done, they will look dry, but still be soft to the touch. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks. When cool, the cookies can be frosted with the icing of your choice.