Thursday 19 April 2007

i do (nobody's beer drinkin' song)

tending to things
that don't matter
too much
wasting my time
watching TV and such
spending my money
in folly and shame
don't point at me
'cause your doin' the same~

waiting on something
that's bigger than this
cleared away cobwebs
and cut through the mist
made up my mind
that I'm staying alone
I keep to myself
for I'm all that I own~

( chorus)
and I need someone to tell me
it's gonna be alright
and I want someone to lead me
out through the dark of this night
i do

well nothing is really
new under the sun
we've taken a look
but not turned to the One
why all the bitterness
I can not say
pride in my life
chose the ignorant way~

paying the bills
that are up to your chin
Wait for the day
when your ship will come in
keep even-keeled in the
worst of the gales
but climbing the steps
takes the wind from your sails

and I need someone to tell me
it's gonna be alright
and I want someone to lead me
out through the dark of this night
i do

So you work until five
then it's time for a beer
month after month
turns to year after year
Thinkin that maybe
there's some other way
taking a risk could mean
falling away

And we
all
need
someone to tell us
it's gonna be alright
and we
all
need
someone to hold us
and lead us
out through the dark of
this horrible night
...dong.. ding.. dong..
dark of this terrible night
..dong.. ding.. dong..tell us
it's gonna be alright.


PS. Strange I know, but this came to me tonight as I was thinking about an old black and white Orson Wells movie " The Stranger" in which he plays a Nazi general, Franz Clommer or something, who escaped the war crime trials and fled to America with a new identity, taking a job as a professor in some Ivy League College in New England. The detective who is investigating the fugitive is played by Edward G. Robinson. Franz is eventually found out but not before marrying the daughter (Loretta Young), of some VIP at the college. He has an obsession with clocks and the movie revolves around this fixing the clock tower of an old church on campus. You watch as his life begins to unravel, the truth becoming evident, as he sinks to murder to try to keep his secret. He winds up confessing to his wife, but all the while, untrusting and plotting her murder as well. Not unexpectedly, the movie comes to a climax as Franz is confronted and the truth is revealed in clock tower, in the dark of night, and just as the clock is repaired. There is a scuffle between Franz and the police in the tower, and as the news breaks to the towns people, they gather at the foot of the chuch, while Franz, in an attempt to escape is shot and impaled on the sword of a life sized bronzed figure, which encircles the clock at the top of the hour. Pretty graphic for that time. Very dark and eerie. My lyrics aren't really about the movie at all. Could be about man's inhumanity to man..............
but maybe more about being a victim of your own stupid choices, feeling imprisoned and needing some hope and guidance, comfort, love, trust...a light at the end of the tunnel. I believe that Jesus is the light in the darkness, the Way, the Truth, but I think we need to have a sense of community to meet our needs, to en-courage and offer hope from another perspective...and visa versa.

No comments: